Saturday, November 19, 2011

To new beginnings

First day, yet it feels like I have been living here forever. Being a small town girl never felt right in my blood. I cannot tell you how amazing it is here. My host family is so helpful and welcoming! Five minutes and I already feel like I am apart of the family.  

Brooklyn is more breath taking then I imagined it. The whole industrial look of this town inspires me to be open to new things. In comparison to Manhattan's Upper East Side, the vibe is much more hipster I would say. The usual, men in skinnies and some form of barely there t-shirt. Girls in their baggy sack hats and boho bags. It's a more laid back feel, apart from the fast life in the city.

Upon my arrival, I got lucky with not only a taxi cab, but a tour guide. It was a two for one deal I would say, but I would not except anything less for the 40$ fare. Though downtown is a distance away, I am given the gift of a beautiful view of Manhattan's skyline. The Empire State building glows of gold on this warm autumn afternoon. It simply is breathtaking. 

My host family mom took me out for my first take out at a chinese restaurant, which I will have to accustom myself to, as I was already aware that I would be doing this for most of my meals daily. It's not only cheaper then cooking one's own meal, but more exciting. It allows me to experience a variety of culinary cuisines while enjoying the neighbourhood's NYC has to offer. 
My bed & desk. Simple yet comforting. 

The very empty closet. If only I was aware
of the size I'd pack more.
Cozy kitchen

hallway to the bedrooms

mini washroom

Love the old stairways in NYC townhouses
Later we stopped by the polish grocery store, which I have been waiting for.  Here aromas fill the store of sun dried tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, daily homemade breads, rich cheesecakes. What's not to love? I have a feeling I will be needing to walk more then usual if I plan to fit in my jeans.

On top of having an amazing first day arrival after a traitorous bus ride, I discovered that the home I am staying at is just a few blocks away from one of the biggest production studios in NYC, where many well known shows are filmed such as '30 rock'. The street right outside the home is also known for its scenes that can be found in one of Ben Affleck's films. 

As I am far too tired today, I think a nice tea, my cosmopolitan and some sleep will be glorious, and tomorrow I will begin my adventures around town. 

If this is just the beginning, I cannot wait to see what's to come. My feet are glued to NYC and now my concern is how will I remove them and return to my home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment