What happened to the " most wonderful time of the year" concept?
Everywhere I have been going or anyone I spoke to only complains about winter....I get it: more rainy/snowy/slushy/cold/ dark days vs. warm/sunny/ flower filled air days.
It's just weather, in the end its what YOU make out of the day. I want to share some of my tips to not feel ' under the weather' during this beautiful season- I am not saying this just because I am a December baby, I actually love it because of the endless memories and things it brings.
Things I do to stay cheery during the icy season:
- Wake up and do a few 'good morning' stretches. [ reach as high to the sky as you can on your tippie-toes, and bend from side to side. ]
- Start the morning with a warm cup of tea or warm water with lemon & honey.
- Make sure to eat lots of veggies ( variety of colours everyday) & stay hydrated even if you don't feel like it in the cold. Your body & skin will thank you later !
- Listen to my favourite playlists on 8tracks.com [ recently discovered this...my holy grail to put me in a cheery mood even during exam week]
- Get moving...outside! With the lack of sunshine ( I know its hiding behind the clouds & UV rays are still something to consider), it's important to not lock yourself in your home even if its cold. We are lucky enough to have discovered waterproof boots/ mittens/ hats/ scarves & puffy coats - so no excuses.
- Watch some holiday movies ( I will later post my favourites...!!)
- Go to a local christmas tree farm [ no need to buy a tree] to hang out & smell the pine trees ( Hey we all do it...and love it!) , grab some fresh apple cider, and perhaps they even have tobogganing hills & horse rides at your local farm.
- Christmas markets...more and more towns have them & they are a free, fun way to put you in a happy mood!
- Get enough sleep of course! I hate sleeping and wasting my day but I know running on 4 hours is bad in the long run for my skin, health, and productivity in anything. Get in the habit to sleep at least 7-8 hours of sleep.
- Indulge in the holiday hot cocoa & sugar cookies ( REMEMBER: moderation is key to a happy life) .
- Volunteer...it's the season of giving and you most likely have some free time...so why not do something good for others. I love doing things for others and only expect happiness in return...that is the best gift I can get any day.
- Try a new sport ( okay this is a tip for # 5 ) : I love to ski downhill & cross country but have always wanted to snowboard so will try it out this year. I love challenges and I am sure you will too!
- Or relive your old childhood memories: make snow forts with friends & have a fight, snow angels are never boring, skating/ learning to skate, or snow cones...snow is so versatile- use it while its here.
There you have my list of things I do to keep me happy during this cold/ dark season ( in my opinion one of the most beautiful seasons apart form Fall. )
What do you enjoy during winter? Any tips to add to the list - I'd love to hear!